Thursday, January 14, 2010

Longest separation

We experienced our longest separation as a family this week. I had to go to a conference in Washington, D.C. from Sunday to Wednesday so we had nearly four full days away from each other. Instead of staying home by himself with the kids, Tommy took them to Arkansas for a visit with Grandma and Papa. He is a brave man to take both of them in the car, alone, for such a long drive. He's done it before but now that Lyla is more mobile and more demanding it was a bit harder.
On the way down Tommy stopped at a Denny's for lunch. They ordered lunch and had pretty bad service. From what Tommy told me, I don't think the waitress had much experience with small children with only one parent. She didn't seem to understand the need for quick service with ordering, bringing the food and bringing the check. He was even talented enough to do a one handed diaper change with Steven because he didn't have a stroller or seat to put Lyla in while changing him. Tommy was a bit frustrated with her but I am sure he kept calm despite the frustration. While waiting for the check he was contemplating not leaving a tip when a different waitress came by and gave him a $20 bill. She said that one of her customers that had just left wanted her to bring it to Tommy. I wonder if he was sympathic out of experience or just plain kind?

The kids and Tommy had a lot of fun in Arkansas, I had a so so time at the meeting in D.C. (best part was seeing my high school friend Melanie!), and rocking my baby when I got home was the best feeeling a mommy could have!

No comments:

Post a Comment