Sunday, September 26, 2010

Applesauce

Our friends Leo and Maria (Allegra's mommy and daddy) have an apple tree in their front yard. This year they had a bumper crop and invited us over to pick some of their extras. We ended up picking what seemed like 200 apples but I was ready to make a ton of applesauce. I have great memories of making sauce with my mom when I was little so I was ready to renew this tradition.

Well, I am currently on weekend number two of apple fest. Last weekend I spent a good part of a day coring, peeling and cooking apples for sauce and apple butter. The sauce turned out really well but the apple butter was too runny. Later I found out from our farmer at the market, Betty, that I should have baked the apples instead of letting them cook on the stove. Next time!


Today I've got a crisp in the oven and I'm going to go for another round of sauce. We already have eaten half of what I made last week so if I want to store any up for the winter I better get cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment