Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Expectations

This afternoon I was so excited to get the kids home, eat dinner and do some holiday crafts. I found some things in my office to rework for holiday gifts with the kids and I was so excited.

Then we got home.

Lyla was cranky and Steven was cantankerous. I decided to make quick burritos (some beans and cheese on a tortilla) for dinner so that we could east fast and get to crafting. Lyla loved the beans but Steven wouldn't touch anything. He ate about five bites of his tortilla and told me he was done. Lately we've been back to the picky eater so I told him he had to eat a small pile of beans before we could do our project. He threw a fit and got sent to his bed.

This cycle continued for about an hour. Eat your beans. No, I want to color. Go to your bed. Eat your beans. No. Go to your bed. You pick the order but just imagine a broken record repeating this sequence over and over.

About 10 minutes in I decided that I wasn't going to back down and slowly other privileges would be taken away. After all, I am the boss, right? I never know if it matters but I want Steven (and Lyla) to have boundaries and know that I am not going to bend to their every whim.

I was sad that I only got to do a little of my project with Lyla and maybe tomorrow I won't set my expectations so high.

Oh, and to top the night off, Lyla puked down my v-neck (dry clean only) sweater as I was rocking her to sleep. Definitely not what I expected tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment